Application Procedure for the Master’s program in Sociology
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- Complete application form Sociology in Masaryk University information system (online form is active between 1 Sept - 30 November and 1 Feb - 30 April ) and provide answers in the Application file (download and fill in and print).
- A short resume / Curriculum Vitae, summarizing education and work history, skills, etc.
- Academic records (full transcripts) and photocopies of prior diploma; certified.
- A statement of purpose briefly describing the applicant’s intellectual history and presenting his/her motivation for applying to this program: please write a short essay on the questions posed in the following form: Statement of purpose form (Sociology)
- English proficiency certificate, see below.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of them by a university teacher (download the forms for Teacher Reference and Non-teacher Reference letters); please inform your referee about your name and planned enrollment for identification.
Please note: At the same time when collecting materials for your application pack, you should start the formal degree recognition procedure (in case you have completed the prior degree). If you have not completed your Bachelor degree yet, start this procedure as soon as you can. See Prior Degrees page in this menu
Unless otherwise indicated, all application materials should be in English. If the original language of the diploma or the transcript is not English, applicants should submit an official English language translation of them stamped and signed by a translation agency or an authorized university office.
Knowledge of the English Language
Applicants must prove their English proficiency. Except for native speakers and holders of a prior degree taught in English, English proficiency must be certified: e.g. by TOEFL – 577 for paper-based, 233 for computer-based, or 90 for Internet-based tests; Cambridge IELTS written version – 6.5 (with no band less than 6.0 in each element], CAE – B grade, CPE – C grade; or other internationally recognized certificates.
English proficiency may be asked to be demonstrated in a video/telephone interview.
April 30 – for September admission
November 30 – for February admission
Note: Applicants who wish to enroll in the fall semester and do not need to arrange visa or residence permit for the Czech Republic and have already completed the Degree Recognition procedure: applications can be accepted by September 1 (of the same year), in accordance with the Dean’s Provision No. 6/2010.
The online application form is active between February 1 – April 30 for fall semester admissions, and between September 1 – November 30 for spring semester admissions. However, your materials can be reviewed any time (use current forms simply) – later on, we will ask you to register your application online. Applicants who want to get a preliminary acceptance letter for IVF grant support or any other scholarship programs, should send all or most of the above mentioned materials by November deadline preferably, even if they are applying for September. Later on, regular admission procedure can be completed, including the submission of online application.